1. A man got a 10% increase in his salary. If his new salary is Rs 1,54,000, find his original salary.
Answer: Let us assume the initial salary =100
So, salary after hike = 100+100 10%=100+10=110
2. On Sunday 845 people went to the Zoo. On Monday only 169 people went. What is the per cent decrease in the people visiting the Zoo on Monday?
Answer: Actual decrease in number of visits
3. A shopkeeper buys 80 articles for Rs 2,400 and sells them for a profit of 16%. Find the selling price of one article.
Answer: Profit = CP x % profit
4. The cost of an article was Rs 15,500. Rs 450 were spent on its repairs. If it is sold for a profit of 15%, find the selling price of the article.
Answer: CP = Cost + Overheads
= 15500 + 450 = 15950
Profit = CP x % profit
So, SP = CP+Profit
= 15950 + 2392.50 = 18342.50
5. A VCR and TV were bought for Rs 8,000 each. The shopkeeper made a loss of 4% on the VCR and a profit of 8% on the TV. Find the gain or loss percent on the whole transaction.
6. During a sale, a shop offered a discount of 10% on the marked prices of all the items. What would a customer have to pay for a pair of jeans marked at Rs 1450 and two shirts marked at Rs 850 each?
Answer: Total Price of a pair of jeans and two shirts
= 1450 + 2 x 850 = 3150
Discount = Marked Price x % Discount
Effective Price After Discount = 3150 - 315 = 2835
7. A milkman sold two of his buffaloes for Rs 20,000 each. On one he made a gain of 5% and on the other a loss of 10%. Find his overall gain or loss.
Answer: Suppose the CP of each buffalo = 100
After 5% profit, SP = 105
After 10% loss SP = 90
8. The price of a TV is Rs 13,000. The sales tax charged on it is at the rate of 12%. Find the amount that Vinod will have to pay if he buys it.
Answer: Sales Tax = Price x Tax Rate
Final Price = 13000 + 1560 = 14560
9. Arun bought a pair of skates at a sale where the discount given was 20%. If the amount he pays is Rs 1,600, find the marked price.
10. I purchased a hair-dryer for Rs 5,400 including 8% VAT. Find the price before VAT was added.