Land Soil Water
Answer the following questions:
Question 1: Which are the two main climatic factors responsible for soil formation?
Answer: Temperature and rainfall
Question 2: Write any two reasons for land degradation today.
Answer: Increasing population and large scale deforestation
Question 3: Why is land considered an important resource?
Answer: All of us live on land. We need land for agriculture. We need land for making houses, factories, roads, railways, etc. We cannot imagine of a life without land. Hence, land is considered an important resource.
Question 4: Name any two steps that government has taken to conserve plants and animals.
Answer: Government has made national parks and wildlife sanctuaries to protect the plants and animals. Government has passed many laws to make poaching a punishable offence.
Question 5: Suggest three ways to conserve water.
Answer: Following are the three ways to conserve water:
- Reduce: Use only as much water as you need. Don’t waste water.
- Reuse: Water which is left after washing the vegetables and cloths should be used for mopping.
- Recycle: Sewage and effluents should be treated before being flown into rivers or ponds.
Tick the correct answer
Question 1: Which one of the following is NOT a factor of soil formation?
- Soil texture
- Organic matter
Answer: (b) Soil texture
Question 2: Which one of the following methods is most appropriate to check soil erosion on steep slopes?
- Shelter belts
- Terrace cultivation
Answer: (c) Terrace cultivation
Question 3: Which one of the following is NOT in favour of the conservation of nature?
- Switch off the bulb when not in use
- Close the tap immediately after using
- Dispose polypacks after shopping
Answer: (c) Dispose polypacks after shopping
Match the followings
|Column A||Column B|
|(a) Land use||(1) Prevent soil erosion|
|(b) Humus||(2) narrow zone of contact between lithosphere, hydrosphere and atmosphere|
|(c) Rock dams||(3) Productive use of land|
|(d) Biosphere||(4) Organic matter deposited on topsoil|
|(5) Contour ploughing|
Answer:(a) → 3, (b) → 4, (c) → 1, (d) → 2
State whether the given statement is true or false. If true, write the reasons.
- Ganga–Brahmaputra plain of India is an overpopulated region.
Answer: This is a true statement. The Ganga-Brahmaputra plain has even topography and highly fertile soil. Hence, it can support a huge population.
- Water availability per person in India is declining.
Answer: This is a true statement. The population of India has been growing but availability of water has been declining. Hence, water availability per person is declining.
- Rows of trees planted in the coastal areas to check the wind movement is called intercropping.
- Human interference and changes of climate can maintain the ecosystem.