Class 9 Civics
Democracy in Contemporary World
Question 1: Which of the following does not lead to the spread of democracy?
- Struggle by the people
- Invasion by foreign countries
- End of colonialism
- People’s desire for freedom
Answer: (b) Invasion by foreign countries
Question 2: Which of the following statement is true about today’s world?
- Monarchy as a form of government has vanished
- The relationship between different countries has become more democratic than ever before.
- In more and more countries rulers are being elected by the people.
- There are no more military dictators in the world.
Answer: (c) In more and more countries rulers are being elected by the people
Question 3: Use one of the following statements to complete the sentence: Democracy in the international organisations requires that …
- The rich countries should have a greater say.
- Countries should have a say according to their military power.
- Countries should be treated with respect in proportion to their population.
- All countries in the world should be treated equally.
Answer: (d) All countries in the world should be treated equally
Question 4: Based on the information given in this chapter, match the following countries and the path democracy has taken in that country.
|Countries||Path to democracy|
|(a) Chile||(1) Freedom from British colonial rule|
|(b) Nepal||(2) End of military dictatorship|
|(c) Poland||(3) End of one party rule|
|(d) Ghana||(4) King agreed to give up his powers|
Answer:a ⇨ 2, b ⇨ 4, c ⇨ 3, d ⇨ 1
Question 5: What are the difficulties people face in a non-democratic country?
Answer: People face following difficulties in a non-democratic country:
- People cannot choose their rulers.
- People do not have the freedom to express their views, to organize and to protest.
Question 6: Which freedoms are usually taken away when a democracy is overthrown by the military?
Answer: When a democracy is overthrown by the military then most of the basic freedoms are taken away. People no longer have a say in the choice of ruler. They do not enjoy the freedom of expression and personal liberty.
Question 7: Which of the following positions can contribute to democracy at the global level? Give reasons for your answer in each case.
- My country gives more money to international institutions. Therefore, I want to be treated with more respect and exercise more power.
- My country may be small or poor. But my voice must be heard with equal respect, because these decisions will affect my country.
- Wealthy nations will have a greater say in international affairs. They cannot let their interests suffer just because they are outnumbered by poor nations.
- Big countries like India must have a greater say in international organisations.
Answer: (b) My country may be small or poor. But my voice must be heard with equal respect, because these decisions will affect my country.
Meaning of Democracy