Question 1: Which of the following is not an instance of exercise of fundamental rights?
- Workers from Bihar go to the Punjab to work on the farms
- Christian missions set up a chain of missionary schools
- Men and women government employees get the same salary
- Parents’ property is inherited by their children
Answer: (d) Parents’ property is inherited by their children
Question 2: Which of the following freedoms is not available to an Indian citizen?
- Freedom to criticise the government
- Freedom to participate in armed revolution
- Freedom to start a movement to change the government
- Freedom to oppose the central values of the Constitution
Answer: (b) Freedom to participate in armed revolution
Question 3: Which of the following rights is available under the Indian Constitution?
- Right to work
- Right to adequate livelihood
- Right to protect one’s culture
- Right to privacy
Answer: (c) Right to protect one’s culture
Question 4: Name the Fundamental Right under which each of the following rights falls:
- Freedom to propagate one’s religion
Answer: Right to freedom of religion
- Right to life
Answer: Right to freedom
- Abolition of untouchability
Answer: Right to euqality
- Ban on bonded labour
Answer: Right to freedom
Question 5: Which of these statements about the relationship between democracy and rights is more valid? Give reasons for your preference.
- Every country that is a democracy gives rights to its citizens.
- Every country that gives rights to its citizens is a democracy.
- Giving rights is good, but it is not necessary for a democracy.
Answer: (a) Every country that is a democracy gives rights to its citizens
Question 6: Are these restrictions on the right to freedom justified? Give reasons for your answer.
- Indian citizens need permission to visit some border areas of the country for reasons of security.
Answer: Country’s security is more important than the right to freedom of a citizen, hence this restriction is justified.
- Outsiders are not allowed to buy property in some areas to protect the interest of the local population.
Answer: Some areas may be culturally or ecologically vulnerable and hence outsiders are not allowed to buy property in such areas. This restriction is also justified.
- The government bans the publication of a book that can go against the ruling party in the next elections.
Answer: This restriction is not justified because we have the freedom of expression.
Copyright © excellup 2014