Class 10 Geography
Manufacturing Industry: NCERT Solution
Solve the puzzle (given in NCERT Book)
- Textiles, sugar, vegetable oil and plantation industries deriving raw materials from agriculture are called…
- The basic raw material for sugar industry.
Answer: SUGAR CANE
- This fibre is also known as the ‘ Golden Fibre’.
- Iron-ore, coking coal, and limestone are the chief raw materials of this industry.
Answer: IRON STEEL
- A public sector steel plant located in Chhattisgarh.
- Railway diesel engines are manufactured in Uttar Pradesh at this place.
Answer the following questions:
- Which of the following industries use limestone as raw material?
Answer: (b) Cement
- Which one of the following agencies markets steel for the public sector plants?
- TATA Steel
Answer: (b) SAIL
- Which one of the following industries uses bauxite as a raw material?
Answer: (a) Aluminium
- Which one of the following industries manufactures telephones, computer, etc.
- Information Technology
Answer: (c) Electronic
- What is manufacturing?
Answer: Production of goods in large quantities after processing the raw materials into more valuable products is called manufacturing.
- Name any three physical factors for the location of the industry.
Answer: Three physical factors which affect the industrial location are as follows:
- Availability of raw materials
- Availability of water
- Availability of infrastructure
- Name any three human factors for the location of an industry.
Answer: Three human factors which affect the industrial location are as follows:
- What are basic industries? Give an example.
Answer: The basic industries supply their products or raw materials to manufacture other goods, e.g. iron and steel, copper smelting, aluminium smelting.
- Name the important raw materials used in the manufacturing of cement?
Answer: Limestone, silica, alumina and gypsum
- How are integrated steel plants different from mini steel plants? What problems does the industry face? What recent developments have led to a rise in the production capacity?
Answer: An integrated steel plant does all the activities involved in the value chain of steel manufacturing. Such plant begins from making steel from iron ore and end up in making steel products which are needed by the industry. Mini steel plants, on the other hand, buy finished steel from larger plants and produce various goods from that; like utensils, tools, etc.
- How do industries pollute the environment?
Answer: Industries mainly pollute the air and water. Factories emit smoke which contains harmful gases. These gases cause air pollution. Factories produce effluents and release them into rivers and pond. Thus, water pollution is cause by factories. Many factories; like thermal power plant; also cause thermal pollution of water by releasing hot water into rivers and ponds. Additionally, factories also play a major role in soil pollution.
- Discuss the steps to be taken to minimise environmental degradation by industry?
Answer:Preventing Environmental Degradation by Industry:
- Water should be reused and recycled in the industry. This will help in minimizing the use of freshwater.
- Rainwater harvesting should be promoted.
- Hot water and effluents should be treated before being released in rivers and ponds.
- Chimneys should be fitted with electrostatic precipitators to prevent release of suspended particulate matters.