Class 10 Civics
Political Parties: NCERT Solution
Match List I (organisations and struggles) with List II and select the correct answer using the codes given below the lists:
||United Progressive Alliance
|Bharatiya Janata Party
||National Democratic Alliance
|Communist Party of India (Marxist)
|Telugu Desam Party
Answer the following questions:
- State the various functions political parties perform in a democracy
Answer: Functions of political parties are as follows:
- Political parties contest elections
- They form and run governments
- A party which loses the election plays the role of the opposition
- Parties provide people access to government machinery and welfare schemes implemented by the government.
- Parties shape public opinion, formulate laws and make policies
- What are the various challenges faced by political parties?
Answer: The various challenges faced by political parties are as follows:
- Lack of internal democracy
- Dynastic succession
- Money and muscle power
- Being a meaningful choice
- Suggest some reforms to strengthen parties so that they perform their functions well?
Answer: Some suggestions for future reforms of political parties are as follows:
- A law should be made to regulate the internal affairs of political parties.
- It should be made mandatory for political parties to give a minimum number of tickets, about one-third, to women candidates.
- There should be state funding of elections. The government should give parties money to support their election expenses. This support could be given in kind: petrol, paper, telephone etc. Or it could be given in cash on the basis of the votes secured by the party in the last election.
- What is a political party?
Answer: A political party is a group of people who come together to contest elections and hold power in the government.
- What are the characteristics of a political party?
Answer: Parties reflect fundamental political divisions in a society. Parties are about a part of the society and thus involve PARTISANSHIP. Thus a party is known by which part it stands for, which policies it supports and whose interests it upholds. A political party has three components, viz. leaders, active members and followers.